Good intentions, AMIRITE?
To be fair, a lot of my spending in March was due to a trip* to Washington, D.C. I took for work and which I’ll mostly be reimbursed for. Also it was tax refund time and while I never go wild when I get an unexpected windfall, I did loosen up the purse strings just a bit last month.
That said… Areas where I was successful:
- Regular bills – they don’t change much, we’re thrifty with our energy usage.
- Home & garden maintenance – I purchased some seed starting materials, but that was about it.
- I also spent way more on my car payment this month, which is the general idea of spending far less in other areas – gotta get that car paid off! Between budgeting and tax refunds, I was able to pay more than 4x the usual car payment…plus the actual car payment. Woo!
And then there were areas I was less successful:
- Groceries – somehow I ended up spending far more on groceries, despite being out of town for a week?!?
- Clothing – a series of unfortunate (and fortunate?) events led me to be at Old Navy unexpectedly. *ahem* I went searching for one particular dress I knew was there and in the process picked up a few more items on clearance. So it goes. I also bought new shoes for walking around DC and I’m so glad I did – I walked 10+ miles one day!
- Eating out – Spent loads in this category last month. Again, due mainly to being out of town…but not entirely.
- I also picked up a handful of things in DC as souvenirs. A giant pompom (which delights me to no end) and enamel pin from Fibre Space. An enamel pin from the Library of Congress.
There were also some expected, but irregular, expenses, namely:
- yearly car registration
- 6-month car insurance policy renewal (I pay in full)
- dance recital tickets
It wasn’t the greatest month, with regard to the budget, but it wasn’t terrible either! I’ve done some math and I’m hopeful that I will actually be able to meet my goal of paying off my car by the end of the summer. Fingers crossed and belts tightened!
*The trip was to the Digital POWRR Institute and it was amazing. The whole training was fantastic, the weather was perfect, the food was great, the Library of Congress was awe-inspiring, the museums were phenomenal…